#354 — May 6, 2020

Read on the Web

Postgres Weekly

pgModeler: A Postgres Database Modeler — An easy way to create and edit database models in a visual way. It’s packaged up as a paid product but is also open source so you can build your own.

Raphael Araújo e Silva

The Best Medium-Hard Data Analyst SQL Interview Questions — This article begins with a quote: “The first 70% of SQL is pretty straightforward but the remaining 30% can be pretty tricky.” True! This article focuses on the tricky ‘medium-hard’ area that few tutorials venture into.

Zachary Thomas

Monitor Custom Postgres Metrics in Real-Time with Datadog — Monitor and visualize Postgres performance in context end-to-end alongside the rest of your stack. Create custom, drag-and-drop dashboards to quickly view analytics on any Postgres metric. Try Datadog free.

Datadog sponsor

My Favorite PostgreSQL Extensions: Part Two — The second part of a series we linked to last week. This time, Nawaz takes a look at pgAudit, pg_repack, and HypoPG.

Nawaz Ahmed

Backup Manifests and pg_verifybackup in Postgres 13 — Postgres 13 will introduce two features to enhance the automated validation of physical backups: backup manifests and a new tool called pg_verifybackup.

Gabriele Bartolini

arm64 Packages Now on apt.postgresql.org — If you’re running ARM64 hardware and Debian or Ubuntu, you can now install Postgres via apt.

Christoph Berg

Speeding Up count(*): Why Not Use max(id) - min(id)? — A warning tale in case you decide to take this shortcut. While you might be able to estimate or fudge a number that’s close, you can’t guarantee sequences will give you an exact, correct answer here.

Hans-Jürgen Schönig

Using Postgres for JSON Storage — With JSON and JSONB types and associated advanced ways to query such columns, using Postgres as a store for JSON data is pretty simple. This is the briefest of overviews but leads into an interactive online tutorial.

Steve Pousty

How to Migrate From Inheritance-Based Partitioning to Declarative Partitioning — Partitioning was introduced in Postgres 10 and Postgres 11 improved the declarative partitioning support. This article demonstrates a move from inheritance based partitioning to declarative partitioning using the native features found in Postgres 11+.

Caterina Magini

Free eBook: How to Get a 3x Performance Improvement on Your Postgres Database — Learn our best practices for optimizing Postgres query performance for customers like Atlassian and how to reduce data loaded from disk by 500x.

pganalyze sponsor

How to Backup Multiple Tablespaces with pg_basebackup

Ahsan Hadi

▶  Security and Compliance with Postgres — A recorded webinar that 2ndQuadrant ran recently.

Boriss Mejías

Oracle to PostgreSQL: ANSI Outer Join Syntax in Postgres — The latest in a series of blog posts about migrating to Postgres from Oracle which looks at what Postgres offers in place of Oracle’s join operators.

Kirk Roybal

An Interview with 2ndQuadrant's Jimmy Angelakos — The latest ‘PostgreSQL Person of the Week’ to face questions about his experiences with Postgres.

Andreas Scherbaum

dadbod.vim: A Modern Database Interface for Vim — A Vim plugin for interacting with numerous databases, including Postgres.

Tim Pope

🗓 Upcoming Online Events

  • Postgres Pulse - weekly at 11am ET each Monday. Weekly Zoom-based sessions with folks like Bruce Momjian, Vibhor Kumar, and other people at EnterpriseDB.
  • 🔐 Postgres Vision 2020 on June 23-24. A full attempt at an online Postgres conference across multiple days with multiple tracks.

🔐 – requires e-mail address or registration
💵 – costs money to participate